Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Tablet Weaving

My new interest of late has been tablet weaving. 

I have wanted to learn how to weave for many years but the high start up cost of a loom has always gotten in the way.  I heard about tablet weaving several years ago and decided give it a try this year.   It took a lot of tangled string before I had any success with this ancient loom-less weaving method.  Once the light bulb went off in my head though, I found that I was tablet weaving every spare minute I had.  Art helped me make a simple board to hold my weaving in progress which works better than the c-clamps or the backstrap setup tied to a doorknob that I had been using.

My first double faced tablet weaving project:


My mom lost her dear chihuahua, Chico, a few months after Shasta died.  Mom had a dream that chico was safe in Shasta's paws - it gave her comfort to think her little Chico was not alone.  The red bookmark with both dogs' names on it was a gift I sent to mom. 

 Here are a few more bookmarks I made after that:


The dancing puppy and Kokopeli I designed from the plaque over my front door that I put up when Shasta was a puppy, it is posted in my blog entry from May 18th . 

The lastest bookmark I wove is for Katherine.  It is her business motto for the specialty cake bakery she runs out of her home.  I plan to give  it to her for Christmas with a recipe keepsake binder.



No comments: