Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Warm lined Mittens
























These are my lined mittens. The idea for lining mittens came when I was making the Subway Mittens for Teresa for Christmas (see post from December 20th). She gets cold easily so I wanted to create a mitten that was warm without being too bulky. After making Teresa's Christmas mittens I became focused on creating my own pattern for mittens with a knit lining. I am getting the pattern printed for a class that I will teach in February. It should be a lot of fun.

This double layered mitten is 100% wool. I used Artful Yarns Shakespeare color #04, a very soft spun yarn, almost a pencil roving. I knit it at tighter gauge than recommended on the skein label. It's a great is insulating yarn with all that 'air' in it. The lining yarn is Nature Spun Sport Weight color #N62S amethyst, (Teresa's birthstone :-), which is perfect since she was the inspiration for this idea).
June 2008: My mitten pattern is available now in the Summer 2008 issue of Spin-Off magazine from Interweave Press.

No comments: