Tuesday, January 08, 2008

A Near Perfect Match

During 2007 I spent time learning the Widdershins toe up sock method
http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer06/PATTwiddershins.html

using Judy Becker' amazing and beautiful cast on
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring06/FEATmagiccaston.html


I taught this toe up sock class at my LYS (Yarns Down Under, Deep River, CT.....a GREAT shop to visit if you are in the area!!) I love the widdershin pattern, but it is written in just one size. In order to offer my students a selection of sizes to knit, I calculated how to adapt the pattern for sizes with 36 up to 100 stitches in sock circumference. My table of numbers is here http://www.box.net/files in the "widdershin handout" folder. Along the way of my learning (I feel like I always learn more than my students) I knit this pair of socks. They make me smile every time I look at them. Each sock is unique in its color pattern as often happens with variegated yarn. But when sitting side-by-side, the color patterns for this pair line up almost perfectly to create a unique pattern of their own! I thought that was pretty cool. Though I will have to take my shoes off and place my feet side by side for anyone to appreciate this minor bit of knitting magic. But I know the pattern is there even when my shoes cover it up. This is definitely a unique PAIR of socks.

The yarn is Madelinetosh hand dyed superwash merino, fingering weight, colorway bearded Iris. It is GREAT yarn for socks. They have been through the washer and dryer several times before taking this picture - no shrinkage, no fading, wonderfully soft and warm.

No comments: