Thursday, February 15, 2007

Let the Wallaby Begin





I have been wanting to knit a pullover hoodie for Christopher. He likes to put his toy cars and trains in his pockets and I think he'd like having a big pocket on the front of his sweater. I have knit a few pullover hooded sweaters in past years from "The Wonderful Wallaby" by Cottage Creations, and like the pattern. I'm not a big fan of doing a lot of stockinette stitch, but I do like knitting in the round and not dealing with seams. So I remind myself sometimes it IS nice to knit and not count or even think if I don't want to.


With Christopher's allergy to wool, I needed to find a suitable yarn for this sweater. I spent a lot of time looking on line at yarn trying to decide what I wanted to use. Cotton is my usual choice for Christopher. For this project I needed a fiber with some memory so it wouldn't sag and grow over time. Machine wash and dry is a plus too, for anything a two year old wears. And I wanted fun bright colors that match the exciting lifestyle of a small and active toddler. Plus I have a budget that I do need to be mindful of. So, yes, I bought cheap acrylic yarn from a dime store....horrors. Guess what? It's great!! All four skeins cost less than $10 total. I do love fine yarn, and even spin my own a lot of the time because I am so fussy about yarn quality. However, I am not a yarn snob, (hopefully) and I'm happy today to be knitting with my new purchase of Caron Simply Soft 100% acrylic yarn.

The crazy pink background fabric in the photo is another story that will have to wait a while. But here is a small hint:

No comments: