Sunday, May 25, 2008

Do the Ribbons really matter?

For the past several months I have been trying to figure out when to retire Shasta from agility. I don't want to retire him yet, he is still healthy and loves the sport (and so do I!). But he turned 8 years old last December and I have to face the fact that he is not a young pup any more. Shasta is a great dog; he tries his best to figure out and accomplish what I am directing him to do on an agility course. When competing we don't qualify that often, mostly due to handler error. So I have to remind myself what really matters: having fun and allowing myself the joy of living in the moment. Dogs are great at unconditional love and experiencing life in the "here and now". Everyone should be so lucky to have a canine friend to teach them that. Sometimes it's easy to get discouraged when not qualifying in an agility competition due to one or two faults. Agility can be a real emotional roller coaster at times. It's silly I know, to let those ribbons mean too much. After all, I keep them in glass jars, not really sure what else to do with them.

I am still learning how to download videos, so I can't explain how this one ended up as a musical collage, so until I get the video tech stuff figured out, this is what I have to share from this weekend:
video

1 comment:

Micksmom2 said...

Great video! I have thought of trying agility with my puppy Maisy, who is now 6 months old.

Looks like fun for the dog and hooman. :-)